A program for female high school students, contributing towards gender parity in STEM disciplines: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
In 2016 the Melbourne School of Engineering piloted the ‘Girl Power in STEM’ program with a select group of 30 Year 9 female students. We are pleased to announce the program will continue in 2017 for those students (now in Year 10) and we will be opening applications for a second group of Year 9 students in the coming weeks.
The first year of the program features a three-night on-campus camp during the July school holidays.
The camp will consist of:
- Presentations by academics
- Panel discussions with industry
- Hands on and interactive workshops
- An opportunity to interact with current engineering and IT students at the University
There are no limitations to the number of applications that can be submitted however, only 30 students will be selected for participation in 2017.
The female student camp will run from the Monday 3 July till midday Wednesday 5 July 2017.
- Students will arrive and register on the evening of Sunday 2 July and depart on the afternoon of Wednesday 5 July.
- The program is free of charge and will include 3 nights’ accommodation, all meals and workshops during the camp.
- There are a limited number of full and partial bursaries available to successful applications who demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Accommodation will be at Queens College, University of Melbourne.
- Dietary requirements will be catered for and students will need to provide this information as part of the application process.
2017 applications are now closed.
- All applications need to be submitted online.
- Registrations will be open from 9.00am Tuesday 18 April until 5.00pm Monday 8 May 2017.
- Program is currently open only to students in Year 9.
- Only 30 places are available in this program for 2017.
- Student applications will be reviewed and short telephone interviews will be conducted for those shortlisted (these can be conducted with a guardian, parent or teacher present with the student). The interviews are scheduled to take place the week beginning 15 May onwards.
- Shortlisted candidates will need to supply a letter of support from their School Principal supporting their application.
- Successful applicants will be notified by 6 June.
Selected students need to fill in the relevant documents and return them by Monday 12 June in order to participate in the program.
If you have any questions regarding this program please contact the program coordinator: