A program for female high school students, contributing towards gender parity in STEM disciplines: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
Inspire your female students about the exciting possibilities of STEM through our Girl Power program, including a three-night camp at the University of Melbourne, work experience and mentoring opportunities.
About the program
Stage 1: Year 9 students
Commencing in Year 9, 30 students are selected to participate in the camp during the July term holidays, where they will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about careers in STEM
- Participate in hands-on interactive workshops
- Interact with University of Melbourne engineering and IT students
- Hear from industry and our academic staff about engineering and IT issues
- Form a network of likeminded individuals
Stage 2: Year 10 students
In the second stage of the program, Year 10 students will have the opportunity to complete the Faculty of Science work experience program and can choose from a range of disciplines including engineering and IT.
Stage 3: Year 11 & 12 students
The final stage of the program facilitates mentoring opportunities between Year 11 and 12 students, and University of Melbourne engineering and IT students.
The female student camp will run from Sunday 8 July until midday Wednesday 11 July 2018.
- Students will arrive and register on the evening of Sunday 8 July and depart on the afternoon of Wednesday 11 July.
- The program is free of charge and will include 3 nights’ accommodation, all meals and workshops during the camp.
- Accommodation will be at Trinity College, University of Melbourne.
- Dietary requirements will be catered for and students will need to provide this information as part of the application process.
While there are no limitations to the number of applications that can be submitted by each school, a maximum of 30 students will be selected to participate in the program in 2018. To participate in the subsequent stages of the program, students must have participated in the Girl Power in STEM camp whilst in year 9.
- All applications need to be submitted online.
- Program is open only to students in Year 9.
- 30 places are available in this program for 2018.
- Student applications will be reviewed and short telephone interviews will be conducted for those shortlisted (these can be conducted with a guardian, parent or teacher present with the student). The interviews are scheduled to take place the week beginning 15 May onwards.
- Shortlisted candidates will need to supply a letter of support from their School Principal supporting their application.
- Successful applicants will be notified by 6 June.
Applications close 11:59pm 29 April 2018.